Friday 19 March 2010

Green Beans with Bacon and Shallots

HomeAboutRecipe IndexPantrythis cook’s toolsjump to navigationGreen Beans with Bacon and ShallotsFebruary 25, 2010Posted by elly in vegetables.
trackback

I’m a firm believer that a lot of people who claim not to like vegetables just haven’t had them prepared in a good way.  Well, not necessarily in a good way, since that’s all subjective, but in a way that the is pleasing to that person’s palate.  Many people steam their vegetables, and that’s really great if you like them that way because it’s healthy and easy.  But me? No way. I am not a steamed veggie kinda gal. I mean sure, steaming some spinach before tossing it with pasta is ok, but just to have a side of steamed peas or something? Nuh uh. I need some flavor, some texture, some…well, fat, usually.  My favorite way to prepare vegetables is by roasting.  This is just as easy as steaming and the results are amazing.  Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast anything from brussels sprouts to zucchini to green beans to asparagus.

But, every once in a while, I want something a little different and maybe a little more indulgent without being TOO over the top bad for you.  These are green veggies, of course—just like I’m not one for steaming, I’m not really one for coating them in cheese sauce, either. As good as that may be. :-)

While I love roasting green beans, I also really enjoy them blanched and then tossed with a little oil or butter, usually some garlic, and occasionally some walnuts or pine nuts.  Blanching gets green beans just tender enough while retaining that gorgeous bright green color.  You’ll never get that color with frozen or canned green beans.  Add a little bacon to blanched green beans and really, what could go wrong?



View the Original article

No comments: